ADDENDUM TO THE MEMORANDUM OF
BETWEEN INDIA AND BANGLADESH
TO FACILITATE OVERLAND TRANSIT TRAFFIC BETWEEN
BANGLADESH AND NEPAL
WHEREAS, on August 15, 1978, the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh (hereinafter referred to as "parties") entered into a Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate overland transit traffic between Bangladesh
and Nepal (hereinafter referred to as MOU).
WHEREAS, this Memorandum of Understanding remains in full force and effect, and
WHEREAS, the said parties now have agreed to make an addendum to the MOU to add new rail routes for facilitating overland transit traffic between Bangladesh and Nepal.
NOW, THEREFORE, the parties hereto agree as follows:
- For the purpose of mutual benefits of the Parties, Para No. 04 of the MOU is amended and will read as follows :
- "Traffic in Transit” to/from Nepal and Bangladesh shall move through Indian territory by rail using Singhabad Railway station in India and Rohanpur Railway station in Bangladesh with their existing facilities. To ensure expeditious and smooth flow of such
movement, necessary infrastructural facilities shall be provided by the two Parties within their respective territories.
- The existing rail route through Radhikapur Railway station in India and Birol Railway station in Bangladesh which has been suspended shall be brought into operation by converting Bangladesh portion into broad gauge. In this case, both the routes (proposed
and the existing) shall be used for Nepal Transit Traffic by rail for additional operating convenience
- As far as feasible the "Traffic in Transit" to/from Nepal and Bangladesh shall move in full rake loads.
- For all "Traffic in Transit "from/to Nepal and Bangladesh, an additional One Time Lock (OTL) will be affixed by Indian customs at the border Land Customs Station (LCS) of entry into India which will be checked at the LCS of exit in India.
The Addendum to MOU shall enter into force from the date of its signing and remain in force till the validity of the MOU.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned duly authorised thereto by their respective Governments have signed this addendum to MOU.
Signed on this Sixth day of September, Two Thousand Eleven at Dhaka in two originals in English Language.
|For and on behalf of the
Government of the Republic of
|For and on behalf of the Govt. of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.