Visit of High Representative of European Union to India (April 21-22, 2017)
April 21, 2017
- European Union High Representative and Vice- President H.E. Ms. Federica Mogherini is on an official visit to India from 21-22 April, 2017.
- High Representative called on Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi. She held delegation level talks with External Affairs Minister, Smt. Sushma Swaraj and Minister of State for External Affairs, Shri M J Akbar.
- The talks were held in a friendly and cooperative atmosphere with exchange of views on bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest. The two sides reaffirmed their commitment to deepening their Strategic Partnership. They reviewed progress on the commitments made during 13th India-EU Summit in Brussels in March 2016 including in the areas of counter-terrorism, migration and mobility, water partnership, clean energy and climate change action.
- Condemning the terror attack in Paris yesterday, External Affairs Minister emphasised that terrorism was the gravest threat to humanity today and both India and EU should strengthen their cooperation to fight terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and demonstrate their firm resolve to show zero-tolerance for such acts.
- EU is one of India’s largest trading partners with bilateral trade in goods reaching US $ 85 billion in 2016. EU is also the largest destination for Indian exports and a key source of investment and cutting edge technologies. India seeks enhanced level of investments from EU companies in its flagship programmes like Clean India, Namami Gange, Skill India, Start-Up India, Smart Cities, renewable energy and next-generation infrastructure. Both sides also discussed ways to take forward the India-EU Broad Based Trade and Investment Agreement.
- As the two largest democracies of the world, India and the EU are natural partners. India greatly values its multi-faceted strategic partnership with European Union and the two seek to strengthen multilateralism and rules-based global order for the peace and prosperity for one and all.
April 21, 2017
Click here for Tamil version
Click here for Urdu version
Click here for Malayalam version
Click here for Bengali version