Visit of Foreign Secretary to Bangladesh (8-10 April, 2018)
April 09, 2018
- Foreign Secretary Shri Vijay Gokhale paid his first official visit to Bangladesh from 8-10 April, 2018 at the invitation of the Foreign Secretary of Bangladesh Md. Shahidul Haque.
- Foreign Secretary called on the Prime Minister of Bangladesh H.E. Sheikh Hasina and conveyed the greetings of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. He briefed her on the recent developments in India-Bangladesh relations. Foreign Secretary also called on the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh H.E. Abul Hasan Mahmood Ali.
- The Foreign Secretaries reviewed the areas of bilateral cooperation between the two countries and exchanged views on issues of mutual interest. Both sides expressed appreciation for the notable progress achieved in the implementation of the decisions and initiatives taken during the visits of the Prime Minister of India to Bangladesh in June 2015 and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh to India in April 2017.
- The following Memorandums of Understanding were signed (details in Annexure):
i. Memorandum of Understanding on Construction of the India-Bangladesh Friendship Pipeline between Siliguri (in India) and Parbatipur (in Bangladesh).
ii. Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between Prasar Bharati and Bangladesh Betar.
iii. Addendum1 to Interagency Agreement between Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP), Department of Atomic Energy, Government of Republic of India and Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (BAEC), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh on Cooperation regarding Nuclear Power Plant Projects in Bangladesh-Terms and Conditions of Deputation of Indian Experts for Rooppur NPP, Bangladesh.
iv. Memorandum of Understanding made and entered into by and between Indian Council for Cultural Relations and Dhaka University on the establishment of the ICCR Rabindro Chair for Urdu Language.
v. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the High Commission of India in Dhaka, Bangladesh and Economic Relations Division of Ministry of Finance, Government of Bangladesh and Directorate of Primary Education, Ministry of Primary and Mass Education, Government of Bangladesh for establishment of computer and language labs in 509 schools in Bangladesh.
vi. Memorandum of Understanding between the High Commission of India in Dhaka, Bangladesh and Economic Relations Division of Ministry of Finance, Government of Bangladesh and Rangpur City Corporation for rehabilitation and improvement of different roads under Rangpur City Corporation.
- Foreign Secretary conveyed that the Government of India supports the efforts of the Government of Bangladesh to provide humanitarian assistance to the displaced persons from Rakhine State of Myanmar. He reaffirmed India’s continued assistance on this issue.
- The meetings were held in a cordial and friendly atmosphere and were in keeping with the long standing tradition of regular high-level exchanges between the two countries.