President of India Shri Ram NathKovindis on a State Visit to Switzerland from 11-15 September 2019 at the invitation of President of Swiss ConfederationH.E. Mr. Ueli Maurer. He is accompanied by a high-level official and business delegation.
2. H.E. Mr. Ueli Maurer and the members of the Swiss Federal Council warmly received President Kovind at a Ceremonial Reception with full military honors at the historic Münsterplatz in the old city of Berne. Today, the President attended the State Banquet
hosted in his honor by the President of Switzerland and the Federal Council.
3. During the official talks held at the Federal Palace in Berne, the two sides reviewed and appreciated the current state of bilateral relations, reinvigorated by the frequent high-level interactions. They agreed towork together towards enhancing the bilateral
trade and investment. The two leaders addressed the India-Switzerland Business Round Table comprised of leading businesses of the two sides. Cooperation in the fields of education, renewable energy, railways, financial services, science & technology, health
and Ayurveda are major areas of mutual interest.
4. President Kovind briefed the Swiss leadership on the recent developments in relation to Jammu & Kashmir aimed at furthering good governance with a developmental agenda.
5. The first exchange of information on tax matters will take place between India and Switzerland in the next few weeks. Switzerland expressed its continued support for India’s membership in the Nuclear Supplier’s Group. President Kovind spoke about the scourge
of terrorism and state-sponsored terrorism inflicted on India for decades. Switzerland strongly supported India on her fight against terrorism and expressed solidarity for early finalization of Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism.
6. MOUs on Technical Cooperation on Climate Change, renewal of Hindi Chair at the University of Lausanne and a Letter of Intent on establishment of bilateral Science & Innovation Alliance were signed during the visit.
7. Yesterday, President delivered an address at the University of Berne on the theme India-Switzerland New Age Partnership: Connecting Himalayas with Alps. The President also addressed the Indian Diaspora and Friends of India.
8. Tomorrow, President Kovind will unveil a bust of Mahatma Gandhi in the commune of Villeneuve which Mahatma Gandhi had visited in 1931. The bust is a gift from India to the commune of Villeneuve as part of celebrations of the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma
9. The leaders discussed international and regional issues and also cooperation in multilateral fora.
September 13, 2019